May 13, 2008

Whenever I break up or leave...

I make a list of things... similar to a list of grievances. So I can justify my actions. Sometimes I doubt my decision so I have a need to rationalize it. This is my list for leaving woot, beyond the weak voting system.

These are my entries.



Go here to see the winners.

http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/Default.aspx

I'm seriously going to have to reconsider my 'become a professional contest winner' strategy. I thought maybe if I submitted decent art I would have a good chance. Certainly DBH has been good to me, but with complex designs taking more than 15 hours to do $500 isnt really a good return on my time when I can pull constant income from freelance gigs.

But, going the way of the freelance gigs, usually means that I have to do work that is not of my choice of subject matter.

So there's the dilemma, make little money back on the type of work I want to do, or get a better return on my time from work that may not be my cup of tea.

I do however get the occasional freelance gig that requests whatever I want to do on a theme, but those do not necessarily pay well.

Maybe in the future they will...

Right now, Im totally demoralized having output a tremendous amount of hours on little or no pay. There is a likelihood I could be nominated for the best of derby at woot, but even if I were to win, it would still not help to recoop the massive hours I put in creating the losing designs.

I feel like quitting art sometimes. It would be so nice to get a comfy decent paying job, settle down in a relationship, and let my hopes of becoming a honored artist dissolve. Im joking and referring to ATHF quote, "but what's it all matter anyways, you know there aint no point."

;(

Freelance New Years Resolution was to hit a meager $24,000 in income. I have hit 72%. It will be an interesting rest of the year...

I seriously need to consider making 50K+ to sustain a home in the future. Preferably I would like an income 50-80K. With freelance, even with 80K, with taxes and expenses like health insurance which I currently do not have, it would be more like a entry level salary job. I should really shoot for six figures. Although money and material goods are not too much a concern for me. I've gotten all the material goods I want currently with the exception of LASIK surgery, which I could afford now, but prefer not to do so. Maybe if I hit my savings goal and exceed it by the cost of $2000-$3000, I will. Which mean about saving $15,000 by the end of the year. We'll see about that. That sounds extreme. I suppose without major bills its not that difficult. I could just get a job and do that... hrm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely a tough field sometimes..
referring to the Contests..

From a business point of view I try to sell all my contest losers to some of my freelance companies...I'll get some sort of compensation for it...not a total loss...
or use as promo pieces to get more freelance gigs..

Hang in their!..
You def got some good work!

Anonymous said...

Design is looking awesome so far ;)