Oct 18, 2008

Artist's Life Quotes

I want more purpose and meaning in my art than just a trivial expression of a skillset. Right now its about creating eyecandy with an occasional fortune cookie like message loosely attached to composition's intended meaning. I want sting... Unfortunately, there's not much I'm passionate about to incorporate into my designs/art at the moment. If I were to give more meaning than whatever meaning things have now, it would probably seem disingenuous. contrived. fake. whack. frontin.

I never knew they existed, but I found many quotes about an artist's life and sacrifice, most of which are in line with pre-existing thoughts about my philosophy about art and sacrifice, though I am not sure to what extent.

Artist's Life Quotes

Artists must be sacrificed to their art. Like bees, they must put their lives into the sting they give. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

The artist who gives up an hour of work for an hour of conversation with a friend knows that he is sacrificing a reality for something that does not exist. (Marcel Proust)

Art is a kind of innate drive that seizes a human being and makes him its instrument. To perform this difficult office it is sometimes necessary for him to sacrifice happiness and everything that makes life worth living for the ordinary human being. (Carl Jung)

In order to live free and happily you must sacrifice boredom. It is not always an easy sacrifice. (Richard Bach)

To gain that which is worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else. (Bernadette Devlin)

Sacrifice is in the daily routine of an artist's life. Without it the artist cannot embrace the essence of creativity. (Paol Serret)

No comments: