Jul 26, 2010

I Ordered Glasses Online

I broke my glasses the other day.

Instead of going to Lenscrafters or a similar company to order glasses, I decided to dig up my prescription, and order online.

I had read about ordering prescription glasses online a few years ago with mixed reviews, and I checked the thread over at Fatwallet, and today the support seems to be generally positive. Thank you child labor in China! :D

Thorough thread about ordering online at Fatwallet: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/231255/

Also searching online, I even found several YouTube videos of people who ordered online with positive reviews.





I decided to try out Zenni Optical - http://www.zennioptical.com/home.php since it seems pretty legit.

The only thing that gave me concern was not knowing my pupillary distance. It is required along with the basic prescription information.

I didn't feel comfortable holding a ruler to my face and eyeballing the millimeters.

SO I just took a photo of myself, and used some photoshopping to measure the distance between my pupils. I know, I'm a smart one! :D

The many uses of Photoshop!

I also read that, before PD was required, averages were used. 63 is the average so I felt comfortable with my 61-62 measurement.



I ended up ordering four glasses for around $120. Considering I've paid $150-$300 for just one pair before, I feel like even if half the frames don't fit, not such a big loss relative to routine costs.

I'm excited to get my frames. I'll post a review once I get them.

Cheers
;j

4 comments:

D.C. said...

My favorite pair is my sport goggle sun glasses. About 300 elsewhere and I got them for 30 at zenni.

eyeslikesugar said...

This is the pair I bought 2 years ago: http://www.eyebuydirect.com/plastic-glasses-philly-red-and-black-p-1399.html -- I got them for $50 shipped. The did and still fit great; even swam with them on in the ocean. I did have a screw fall out recently, but that was remedied easily with a tiny screwdriver we had. Good luck!

AttilaTheMom said...

I spent $500 at lenscrafters on my progressive lens glasses, which only sorta fit right, and constantly bug me. I was so ticked off at lenscrafters I spent $20 at eyebuydirect.com on a pair of single vision prescription sunglasses for driving. The cheap ones fit way better than the other ones, and the lenses are high quality and work great. And they shipped from taiwan. :)

Simeon said...

Any suggestions for cases for glasses? I'm on a bit of a hunt for interesting/stylish ones.