Jun 16, 2008

Paused for Client

Lied about not being verbose.

Heard a lyric today to add to my illustrate to do list. "Need you like a heart needs a beat."

....

Im pausing all current personal projects because I've accepted an interesting client who values my work, monetarily and in general sense.

The project involves my style of art with Islamic motifs.

I am totally ignorant of the culture, and from the research I've done, it's quite interesting and challenging.

It will be interesting to see what I come up with. The difficulty lies in being so ignorant of the culture that I have no idea what could be considered cliche, offensive, or totally unrelated.

....

I have decided to forgo sending a resume to DBH. Despite the wonderful advice from those of you who have commented, (thanks MaggieH!) I've decided otherwise. Why?

Art Director description does not include - Bang out artwork all day long. In reality the position of an Art Director, which I've held, is seemingly very prestigious and important sounding, but most of the time, it's administrative work that involves not making art, but making decisions about art by other people. Besides, although I think I might win big cool points with the internet t-shirt community if I could even possibly get the position, I think you guys will think Im much cooler when I do it on my own. You be like, that dood be like Ole Blue Eyes, he done it His Way.

Besides, I enjoy being with my family. It may be the last time that I can spend time with them. Once I get burdened with the realities of life like rent, significant other, job, etc, the likelihood that one can make time to commune with family becomes increasingly less.

I like my little brother. I like that he comes home at night, and we hang out in the basement, and I surf/work, and he plays WOW.

Cheers.

3 comments:

AttilaTheMom said...

Love the new picture, can't wait to see it finished! And I can perfectly understand why you wouldn't want to apply for the DBH position. It's great that you know yourself and what you want and don't want to do so well at this point. I have no doubt that whatever you decide to do with your art and your sweet self will be epic in every way. :)

jimiyo said...

Thanks Andrea. I really appreciate it. I often times experience overwhelming doubts about what Im doing, feel like giving up. xo

Unknown said...

Good to hear that man! I've done some work for el Amrani too and pays well.

aj "collisiontheory"